Yep, here we go again that time of year as our open waters rapidly becomes hard water (dislike button) and we turn in all our gear to its original place in the garage or basement. During this annual ritual have you ever noticed that angler in your life taking a mental inventory of all of his or her tackle and toy’s and mumbling under their breath “I’m gonna need a new one of those next year”?
Well I have compiled a list of 10 items that every angler should have as part of their arsenal of options when hitting the open water again this coming season. These are just a few of many items available to help you pick that perfect gift for that angler in your life this Christmas.
1. Sunglasses, what angler doesn’t need a quality pair of shades. Amphibia Sports has some of the best shades on the market and not only are they scratch resistant and polarized they float! This will be the last pair of shades your angler looses to the bottom of the lake. The Genesis model in the new smoke color with the new Tri-bridge technology is my favorite but checks out their website and decide for yourself. https://www.amphibiaeyegear.com/p-6-k468-g8.aspx
2. For that Angler that spend countless hours on the water and likes to have the rod in their hand at all times you cannot beat the new Pflueger Patriarch Spinning Reel. This may very well be the lightest fishing reel on the market, which is perfect for a full day of pitching jigs or rigging live bait. Check out this reel and other Pflueger reels at http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/Pflueger%C2%AE-Patriarch-Spinning-Reel/1280290,default,pd.html# I recommend any Pflueger reel, as they are the smoothest reels on the market and have a great selection to meet anyone’s budget.
3. The most important part of an anglers arsenal is their rod. Matching up the Pflueger reel with any St. Croix Eyecon series rod is a winner! A good balance is crucial in feeling even the lightest of bites. St. Croix rods have been around a longtime and are considered by several including myself to be the best on earth. They have several different models for whatever type of fishing your angler is doing as well as your price range. Check them out and get yours ordered today. http://stcroixrods.com/products/freshwater/eyecon
4. If your angler really likes to troll for hours on end then a quality line counter reel is paramount in putting the bait in front of the fish. The OkumaCold Water line counter reel is the real deal and will withstand cranking in the big walleye day after day. If you are on a tight budget try one of the Magda Pro series reels, they are a great way to for the angler just getting into trolling to get familiar with.http://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/reels/linecounters/cold-water
5. Every anglerneeds to be thinking ahead of their next move and one many of us overlook is our sun protection. Columbia’sPFG line of clothing is a perfect gift for anyone on your list. Columbia’s superior design of lightweight and breathable shirts with UPF 50 rated material is a secure way to know you are protected from the sun even when we forget to put that messy sunscreen on. Check out the entire PFG line of products as well as one of my favorites (Long sleeve Terminal tackle) here. http://www.columbia.com/mens-pfg-terminal-tackle-long-sleeve-tee-FM6094.html?dwvar_FM6094_variationColor=015&cgid=activity-fishing#prefn1=genderGroup&prefv1=Men's&
6. Sharp hooks are a very important necessity of hooking up with a fish of a lifetime and the Matzuo Rip-N-Roll hooks are just what every angler needs to trigger those hard to get fish. The recently re-designed new Rip-N-Roll (aka… Slow roll, slow death) hook rigged behind a bottom bouncer is sure to put more fish in your boat next season. These are a perfect stocking stuffer for anyone. Check them out along with the many other great products from Matzuo. http://www.matzuo.com/ripnrollhooks
7. When it comes to stocking stuffers, Berkley Fishing has a vast array of products that any angler would be pleased with but if I had to choose one for this Christmas, it would be the newly introduced Flicker Minnow. These come in an assortment of colors and two sizes, do not worry you cannot pick a wrong one. http://www.berkley-fishing.com/Berkley%C2%AE-Flicker-Minnow/1347816,default,pd.html#
8. The perfect stocking stuffer or gift for when your angler is just too meticulous for you to guess that never fails is the GO TO gift card. A Cabelasgift card can be used at any store or online and they never expires. As many gift cards go unused, I am sure this one will not. http://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?categoryId=106042680
9. What angler or hunter doesn’t want a sharp knife? Since I have started using the Bubba Blade knife, I have tossed my electric knife into the trash. No cords or replacement blades to deal with, works every time and anywhere. Check them out and choose the one to your liking. http://www.bubbablade.com/
10. Nothing ruins a day on the water like being wet and cold. Frabillhas an extensive line of outerwear to fit any condition from windy and rainy to frigid below zero temperatures. You never know what mother nature is going to drop on you once you hit the water so I never go out without my bibs and coat in the boat just in case. http://frabill.com/clothing/fseries-storm-gear.html
These are just a few items that I promise your angler will be very happy with this season and if you have any questions about any of them please shoot me a message and I will be glad to help. Tis the season to give and rejoice and may you have a Merry Christmas.Written by: Brian Bashore TheWalleyeGuys